Family Visitor Visa

To apply for any UK visa within the family category you need to provide documentation to support the statements you have made on your visa application forms.

Need some help with an application?

Free Consultation Request

Fill your information below and a specialist will review your matter and offer a free no obligation consultation.

The information provided will be used to assess your matter and is stored securely for up to 6 months. See our privacy policy on how data is handled. By submitting, you confirm have read and agreed to these terms.

To apply for any UK visa within the family category you need to provide documentation to support the statements you have made on your visa application forms.

The process to apply for a UK family visa is complex, and there is no room for mistakes. The Home Office will decline applications on even the smallest of errors. With our expert UK immigration solicitors on your side you can be sure that your visa application is as strong as it can be, with all the evidence you need.

What are the Requirements for a Family Visa Application?

You may be able to apply for a visa to join your partner in the UK, if they are:

  • A British citizen
  • Settled in the UK with ‘indefinite leave to remain’
  • Living here with refugee status or humanitarian protection

If you are married to your partner you likely be eligible to apply for a spouse visa, if you have been living in a genuine relationship for over two years without being married you can apply for an unmarried partner visa.

If you apply in this way, you would be known as the ‘dependant’ and your spouse as the ‘sponsor’. For help with your UK partner visa application, speak to our solicitors.

Proving your relationship

To apply for a UK family visa on the basis of a relationship you need to demonstrate you are in a genuine relationship.

To demonstrate that you are in a genuine relationship with your partner you’ll need to share evidence that proves it along with your application.

You’ll need to satisfy the Home Office that you either:

  • Have been in a marriage or civil partnership, recognised by UK law
  • Have been living together for at least two years at the time of application whilst in a relationship, or
  • Are engaged to marry or enter a civil partnership within six months of arriving in the UK

As well as this you need to be able to prove that you have a good knowledge of English, and that you can financially support yourself and any of your dependants.

To prove your English language abilities, you will probably need to complete the English language test.

If you want to remain in the UK after you have been in the UK for five years or more on a family visa by applying for indefinite leave to remain you must also meet all these requirements.

If you have a child or children you would like to bring to the UK on a family visa, you may be able to apply for a dependent visa on their behalf. There are strict rules in place that you will have to keep in mind when you are looking at applying for a dependent visa.

Firstly, for your children to be granted a dependant visa, one of the below must be true:

  • The whole family are applying for visas at the same time, and will be entering the UK at the same time
  • Both parents are present in the UK, with the child joining them from abroad,
  • One parent is present in the UK and the other parent applying for a visa from abroad at the same time as the child

Family visa exceptions apply for one parent families. These exceptions can be made when you:

  • Are the sole surviving parent
  • Have sole responsibility for the child

Any other exceptional family circumstances will likely be taken into account too.

The parent or parents of the child who this family visa is for don’t need to be UK citizens for children to qualify. Parents can be in the UK on a visa (exceptions do apply) or hold indefinite leave to remain.

If your partner or parent is a holder of a visa that allows dependents to live with them in the UK you can apply for what is called a UK dependent visa. For adults, we most often help with applications for:

  • Tier 1 dependent visa
  • Tier 2 dependent visa
  • Tier 4 dependent visa
  • Tier 5 dependent visa
  • Ancestry visa dependents

Dependents of settled persons may also apply for British settlement after they have been living in the UK for five years or more.


    Let's Work Together!

    We would love to give you advice about your case and ensure your application is successful! Fill in our form by clicking the button below to get your Free Consultation